At Gay Men’s Institute, we understand cocaine addiction treatment. We can get you healthy again!
Cocaine’s Effect on Body, Health, and Work-Life Status
Cocaine can be snorted, smoked, or injected, and each method has short and long-term effects on multiple parts of your body, including:
- Respiratory System – Damage to nasal tissue, Nosebleeds, Damage to lung tissue
- Gastric System – Difficulty swallowing due to damaged throat tissue, Infection, and death in intestinal tissue from decreased blood flow, Poor nutrition
- Circulatory System – Increased heart rate, Increased blood pressure, Irregular Heartbeat, Stroke, Heart Attack
- Immune System – Weakened, Prone to Infection, Risk of HIV from intravenous sharing of needles
- Mental – Paranoia, Panic Attacks, Anxiety, Insomnia, Violent Outbursts
When used concurrently with alcohol, cardiac toxicity risk is increased.
Cocaine Treatment Overview
Our treatment teams use evidence-based treatment, including:
- Cognitive-behavioral therapy
- 12-Step programs
Medical Detox in Cocaine Addiction Recovery
Cocaine withdrawal side effects start approximately 24 to 72 hours after your last use. The severity of your side effects is dependent on multiple factors, including:
- Length and amount of Cocaine consumed
- Medical history
- Co-occurring disorders
- Past and current Trauma
During this first stage of detox, most patients will experience mild to moderate symptoms, including:
- Trouble sleeping
- Trouble waking
- Increased Hunger
As you progress through detox your extreme craving should decrease. In days 4 through 7 you may start to experience these additional symptoms:
- Extreme tiredness
- Dissatisfaction with life
After about a week, evidence-based treatment is the best way to maintain your recovery.
There are currently no FDA approved medical interventions for cocaine withdrawal.
Why Residential Treatment is Important for Cocaine Addiction Treatment
The symptoms of cocaine withdrawal are intense, but after breaking the binge/crash cycle, you may start to feel like beating cocaine addiction was easy. The two weeks after detox, depressive symptoms, mood disorders, vivid dreams, and intense cravings can resurface suddenly.
Quitting cold-turkey, without support, can be dangerous, and rarely results in extended success. Our treatment team is here to help with support and proven treatments.
Our clinically proven treatments are designed to help you with through extended withdrawal. Learn more about your disease, develop new habits, and surround yourself with support while you work towards a life of recovery.